Violence occurs against men and women. So why is there so much attention devoted to women’s self defense? The answer is simple. Approximately 80-90% of all assaults by strangers are committed against women. Additionally, while not all domestic violence victims are against women, about 98% of them are.
It is frightening to think that those numbers pertain to the U.S. Even more disconcerting is that in many other countries women are not treated even that well.
So where do women get attacked? Literally – everywhere. City streets, college campuses, parking lots, in the workplace and at home. Women have become victims in their cars and in their hotel rooms. It appears that there is no absolutely safe place for women to be.
So what is a woman to do? Adopt a self-defense attitude and empower yourself to fight back!
The best way to ward against possible threats is to practice certain self-defense rules.
1.The first, most important tip is to always be aware of your surroundings. Put down the cell phone while you are out and about. No text, email or tweet is worth risking your safety.
2. Use common sense. Avoid places and situation where crimes may occur. In other words, don’t ever walk down a dark alley by yourself at night. Leave that to the actresses in action movies.
3. Learn several self defense techniques. If you cannot attend a class, then learn from a self defense training DVD. You can do this from the comfort of your own home on your own schedule.
4. Pick a few moves that you are comfortable with. Practice them until they become second nature. In a crisis situation you will revert to your training.
5. Never ever get into a car with a stranger. Don’t accept a ride from someone you don’t know. If you are being threatened, make your stand where you are at. Don’t ever get into a car thinking you will avoid harm. Chances are you won’t ever be seen alive again..
6. Avoid looking or acting like an easy target. Predators look for easy prey. Don’t give them what they are looking for.
7. Be aware of your posture. Walk with a purpose and in such a way that says you are confident. Make eye contact which lets a potential attacker know you are not afraid.
8. If you are being attacked do whatever you have to do to protect yourself. Bite, kick, punch, scream, scratch, gouge and stomp!
9. Learn how to use common objects to fight back. Rock, paper, scissors may be a game, but in the right hands, any of these can be deadly. (well, maybe not so much the paper, although I did see that used in a movie once!)
10. Carry and be prepared to use a non lethal self defense weapon such as pepper spray, a stun gun or a kubotan.
There is never a guarantee that following these tips will keep you from harm. But one thing is for sure –not following them will put you at greater risk of being a victim.