Should You Be Plopping Dry Hair Overnight?
Hair plopping is definitely a weird word. But, it is very effective to do. If you have dry hair, curly hair, or frizzy hair, plopping hair can be a game changer for you.
So, what actually is hair plopping? It is a hair technique that entails wrapping wet hair and absorbing water after a hair wash. It scrunches the hair into defined curls. Hair popping is an easy way to get frizz-free, bouncy soft curls. If you want to know whether or not it would be beneficial to plop your dry hair overnight, you came to the right place!
I recently spoke to a couple of friends who have dry hair and want to get rid of it. They told me they heard something about plopping their hair but they didn’t really know what it was. So, I told them and thought it would be a great thing to tell you to!
Interested to know more about plopping your dry hair? Then read on!
Should you be popping dry hair overnight?
Yes, it might be beneficial to you to plop your dry hair overnight. Plopping your hair overnight will give your hair time to set in the way you want your hair to be, and it also gives it time to dry the natural way without your hair becoming frizzy.
The Science Behind Hair Plopping
Most women with curls love their curls. But, they only love their curls when they look defined, bouncy and shiny. However, gravity can cause curls to drop. And it causes curls to drop, especially for hair that has been weakened from heat styling or age.
When the hair is plopped, the curls are dried on top of the head. This position encourages the natural pattern. That is because they are now not weighed down by gravity and water. Hair plopping creates more lift right at the roots.
The Benefits of Hair Plopping
The benefits of hair popping for dry hair include:
- Less hair damage and hair breakage
- Less frizz
- Bouncy hair
- Healthier looking hair
It is not always easy to keep your hair looking healthy and bouncy. Hair plopping takes the blow dryer out of the equation during hair grooming process. It allows your hair to dry undisturbed. The hair is not subjected to the damage caused by heat from the blow dryer. This is just one of the benefits from air drying your hair.
Whether you plop your hair overnight or just for a few hours, frizz and static will be less. Your hair will dry naturally and look more healthy. Hair plopping is basically a hands-off approach.
Different Types of Hair for Hair Plopping
Hair plopping is ideal for dry hair. Keep in mind that the blow dryer diminishes the natural oils and proteins in your hair. Without heat, the oil and proteins in your hair are maintained. If you tend to have dry hair, hair plopping will make your hair look a lot less dry.
Hair plopping will add more volume and bounce to fine hair. Even if you have fine curls, hair flopping will add volume. Your hair will also have more bounce to it. Hair plopping also works well on thinning tresses.
Hair plopping is a very popular technique for those with curly hair. But, it is wise to do hair plopping within 2 hours of using any product. It may even be better to use a shower cap if you have curly hair. A shower time will not cause your curls to flatten as much compared to using a t-shirt or a towel. You won’t risk flattening your curls when resting your head on your pillow.
The Hair Plopping Process
Here is a step-by-step guide on how the hair popping process is done.
1. You will need a large microfiber towel, a soft cotton t-shirt, or a hair-plopping cap. It is important to use the right products when you are hair plopping. Do not use a regular bath towel. A regular bath towel is just too abrasive on the hair cuticle. And a plastic shower cap won’t do the job here. Plastic will only reduce drying and the absorption of your hair products. You will need to invest in a hair-plopping cap.
2. You will also need to wash your hair the proper way. It all begins in the shower. Be sure to wash your scalp and roots. Use lukewarm water when washing your hair. Luke warm water will help prevent your scalp and hair from losing its natural oils. Be sure to use a shampoo and conditioner product that is appropriate for your hair type. There is no need to scrub your hair clean. Just gently massage your scalp and hair. Being gentle makes a difference.
3. Do not physically dry your hair and immediately after you shampoo and rinse it. Resist that temptation. You should just dab your hair with a towel or t-shirt. Then, just gently squeeze out any excess water with your hands.
4. It is now time to apply all of your styling products. Hydrating creams, gels or conditioner. Be sure to use good products that are for your hair type. You can apply these products generously. Be sure to apply your products on the ends and mid shaft of your hair.
If you are using a t-shirt for your hair popping, put the t-shirt over your head and make sure it touches the nape of your neck. Hold the edges of the T-shirt to the nape of your neck. Then, grab the sleeves near your forehead. Next, just twist them together and tighten it. It will form a bag around your head. Then, wrap the twisted sleeves around your head. This will keep the t-shirt from falling off or sliding. You will look like you’re wearing a helmet. But, that’s okay. Allow your hair to dry and its natural formation. You will wind up with less frizz, more volume and more definition.
Using a hair plopping cap is pretty straightforward. They are usually very absorbent with a microfiber interior. Just put it on and tie the cord, and you are good to go.
If you are using a towel for your hair plopping, be sure to use a microfiber one. Lay the towel out in front of you. Then bend over and flip your hair in front of you. Reach toward the back of your head to ensure that every strand is in front of you. The end of the towel should reach to the top of your neck after it’s been folded.
Bend forward, and let the natural coils of your hair fall into the towel. Be sure the crown of your head touches the towel. Pull up the flat end of the towel over your head. Twist the ends of the towel to keep it in place. You will have too long ends to do this with. Bring the top section over your head. You can also use hair clips to keep the ends secured. It will look like you’re wearing a towel turban.
Hair plopping correctly does take a little practice. But, do not worry. You’ll master it in no time.
All around, hair popping works well for all types of hair. Whether you have straight hair, thin hair, curly hair or dry hair, hair plopping will leave your hair with more volume, more bounce and looking more healthy. This technique was first popular for people with curly hair. However, today it is popular for all types of hair.